Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Outrageous, Flawed Humanity

In yesterday's post, I found myself floundering to explain the way I view my parents and how I am able to have any kind of relationship with them.

I started reading the book, The Prince of Tides. While I have never read the book before, I HAVE seen the movie. And from what I have seen so far, they are fairly close in content to each other. Anyway, in the prologue, I was reminded of my favorite quote from the movie. It is also in the book; " Because I needed to love my mother and father in all their flawed, outrageous humanity, I could not afford to address them directly about the felonies commited against all of us." "They, too, had a history - one that I remembered with both tenderness and pain, one that made me forgive their trangressions against their own children. In families, there are no crimes beyond forgiveness."
From the first time I heard those lines, it rang true with me. No, not completely, but yes, for the most part, it did. It still does. That viewpoint allows me to be a little more gentle in my dealings with them. I believe that is necessary.
Now, to be gentler with myself; THAT would be quite the achievement.

2 comments:

The Complimenting Commenter said...

Everyone needs that understanding and forgiveness. I'm glad that you found it with others, now just work on yourself, because you deserve it too.

Kim said...

The key to life is in the way that you view it...