Monday, June 13, 2005

Melancholy Meanderings

I don't plan on doing this very often in this blog, but just to warn you, some of this post will be religious in nature.

Today, I am sad. The tears come unbidden quite easily today. Yesterday, the 92 year old woman that I have been caring for made a very quick, but peaceful and dignified exit, like the lady she is. As I heard it in the movie Fried Green Tomatoes; "Ruth was a lady. And a lady ALWAYS knows when to leave." Well, this lady Gertrude, proved once again that she was a lady, as she knew exactly when to leave, in a very dignified and non-traumatic manner.

As a nurse's aide for 16 years, I have learned to love the ones I care for without getting too attached. It is necessary if you are going to be in this field very long. However, once in a while, there will be one who gets under your skin and you have no defense against it. Gertrude was one of those for me. I adored her from second one. And vice versa. I like to think I made her last few months better for both her and her family.

But, there is a void today, and it's not because I don't have a job now, that will work itself out. It is because even though I know it is for the best, I wasn't ready for Gertrude to leave. So, kind of as a healing balm and a tribute to a lady of the highest order, in my eyes, I say enjoy the reward of a well lived life.

This song will be sung by her son at her funeral later this week, and I cannot think of a better way to honour her right now. This is for you, Gertrude Olive Ames Salt.



Softly and Tenderly


Softly and tenderly Jesus is calling,
Calling for you and for me;
See, on the portals He's waiting and watching,
Watching for you and for me.

Come home, come home,
You who are weary, come home;
Earnestly, tenderly, Jesus is calling,
Calling, O sinner, come home!

Why should we tarry when Jesus is pleading,
Pleading for you and for me?
Why should we linger and heed not His mercies,
Mercies for you and for me?

Come home, come home,
You who are weary, come home;
Earnestly, tenderly, Jesus is calling,
Calling, O sinner, come home!

Time is now fleeting, the moments are passing,
Passing from you and from me;
Shadows are gathering, deathbeds are coming,
Coming for you and for me.

Come home, come home,
You who are weary, come home;
Earnestly, tenderly, Jesus is calling,
Calling, O sinner, come home!


7 comments:

Tricorum Satisdee said...

wow. just...wow.

Kat said...

That was wonderful...as wonderful as she was.

carpediemtomorrow said...

I think that says it all!

Angel said...

I am a In Home Aid and I know how sad it can be. We get so attached to those we take care of. My condolences.

Butchy said...

Thank you all, very much!

Chyrene Pendleton said...

How beautiful! She was so fortunate to have such a loving person as youself to care for her.

RagDoll said...

My condolences. What a terrific post. It made my breath catch.